Last week, we shared with you that The Pittsburgh Foundation has set up an emergency matching fund to help local food pantries keep up with the current demand for food in response to recent food benefit cuts. We received word from The Pittsburgh Foundation that current donations total $219,850 AND that it has activated the final $50,000 in matching funds–meaning $250,000 in donations will be matched for food pantries throughout Pittsburgh, including our Squirrel Hill Community Food Pantry (SHCFP). If another $30,000 or more is raised by December 31st, a total of half a million dollars will be distributed to help support efforts to end hunger in our communities.
A few weeks ago, SHCFP mailed the annual fresh produce appeal. This appeal asks generous Pantry donors to make a gift ensuring fresh fruits and vegetables are available year-round to SHCFP clients. If you’ve already contributed to the Pantry’s recent fresh produce appeal, donated to SHCFP through The Pittsburgh Foundation’s special appeal or made an end-of-year gift to JF&CS, we thank you. If you haven’t made a donation or have the means to make an additional donation, now is the time to maximize your support of JF&CS and SHCFP.
Every donation submitted through PittsburghGives.org of $25 or more made to SHCFP through December 31 will be matched dollar-for-dollar from this pool of matching funds. Maximize your generosity. Go to PittsburghGives.org and make a donation today! Please note that only gifts made through PittsburghGives.org will be matched by The Pittsburgh Foundation.
Food pantries in the area, including SHCFP, are experiencing an unprecedented increase in the demand for food assistance. SHCFP has seen a significant increase in the number of clients and individuals needing emergency and supplemental food since the SNAP benefits (food stamps) cut on November 1st. SHCFP is open five days a week, and in addition to serving regular clients, helps those in surrounding communities who may need emergency food or supplemental food when their regular food pantry is closed.
It is clear that our neighbors are in need now more than ever and we hope you’ll join us in the fight to end hunger in our community by making a donation through this special appeal. Directions for submitting your gift through PittsburghGives.org can be found below.
1. Visit PittsburghGives.org.
2. Click on the link to make a donation.
3. Enter your name, email and phone number in appropriate boxes. You must have a valid email address to receive a tax receipt for your donation.
4. Choose your food pantry (Squirrel Hill Community Food Pantry) in the box and select it from the drop down box.
5. Enter the amount you wish to give (only credit card donations of $25 or more will be accepted). Once you are ready to complete your transaction, click “Checkout” and you will be taken to the secure credit card screen.
6. Mastercard and Visa are accepted for payment. Please remember to notify your credit card issuer if you plan to make a large donation as they may hold your transaction as per your fraud protection services. The minimum gift per organization is $25. Enter in your credit card information on the secure server and click “submit”. You will receive confirmation that your donation has been received and an email will be sent to you for tax purposes.
7. Don’t forget to share your donation via social media and encourage others to give to the Squirrel Hill Community Food Pantry though this special appeal as well.
The work we do at SHCFP is instrumental in providing food security throughout our community and ensuring those in need have a place to turn. Please visit PittsburghGives.org today to maximize your support of SHCFP.
Thank you in advance for supporting SHCFP at this very special time of year.